I suggest you ...

Add "Pool Play" tournament type as a new type. Normally see this in Baseball tournements.

Example: 6 teams in a division. Each team will normally play 2 "Pool Play" games. Then, seeding into a regular single or double elimination bracket. Round Robin seems to force all teams to play each other before seeding begins.

30 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ITDawgITDawg shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ITDawgITDawg commented  · 

Is there an official status for this suggestion? Thanks for a Great App, by the way!

I believe so. A streamlined Pool option will be easier for the baseball world to understand, though.

• Konkuri StaffAdminKonkuri Staff (Admin, Konkuri) commented  · 

Yes, it's a little bit of mess, but not that much. All in all, it's like our present "Groups + playoffs" with teams that aren't forced to play against all opponents, right?

Correct... Just realize some tournaments have as few as 4 teams up to 24 teams in a division. Just found one tournament of 18 teams and they split it into 3 pools, A, B, & C. They only played 2 pool games each. Then they seeded them into a common single elimination bracket... thats a mess! 99% of the tournaments are weekend tournaments that have fewer than 10 teams.

Thanks!

Ok, so if we understand it right, Saturday Pool Play will be the first phase with a single group, each team playing only 2 games. Saturday Championship Play will be the final phase with double elimination brackets. Is that correct?

If this is the case, you're right and our round-robin at the moment doesn't allow you to play only against some opponents.
        But, it won't be difficult to do and we will implement it as soon as possible.

Thanks a lot for your help!

I did verify that 2 groups of 3 teams will not replicate the bracket referenced in my previous post.

I can't seem to make that happen. I will try the 2 groups with 3 teams model... However, I will say most of the tournament directors I deal with will not understand that! :)

Here is a link to a tournament from this past weekend: http://82challenge.com/winonaschoolsoutbrackets.html As you can see, there are several "divisions" based on age group. Looking at the top bracket (8U), you can see there are 6 teams in that division. The tourney begins with "Pool Play" of 2 games for each team which is not a round robin...

The Pool Play is to determine "seeding". Once the division is "seeded", then those should flow into a normal bracket. Most tourneys are single elimination, however, there are many that offer a "consolation" bracket which would be a double elimination bracket. (I know you are working on that...)

Also, note that 8U bracket is played on TWO different fields or locations. The larger the bracket, the more fields required to complete a tournament in a 2 day time frame.

Thanks!

Hi, can't you do that with our "Groups + Playoff" system? With 6 teams you can create a first phase with 2 groups of 3 teams. Each team would play 2 games before the final phase with brackets.

As regards the double elimination system is planned but not ready yet.

Feedback and Knowledge Base